OPEN CALL | LOCUS SONUS
Open Call to participate in the Locus Sonus Audio Streaming project !!
• This is a call from the French based Audio in art research group
Locus Sonus to participate in their streamed soundscapes open web-mike project.
• Open an ogg audio stream from your home or garden (no pre-recorded playlists please) and become a remote
member of the Locus Sonus orchestra.
• Locus Sonus proposes to use the sound from your environment as raw material for their installations and
performances. As an added bonus all streams will be made available on
a web page so that you can do your own international mix at will.
• We are hopeing to obtain a variety of streams from diverse and exotic locations, the imaginative potential of the project and it's future development depends on diversity and richness the streams you propose. We will be happy to discuss artistic and technical issues with you.
• To participate in this project, contact email@example.com
• To listen to the streams already available click here:
• To download a PD patch and start streaming click here:
• To see video documentation of our previous presentations and to find out more about Locus Sonus in general, click here:
• NEXT PUBLIC EVENTS
Presentations start from 15th to 30th of August in various performance
and installation situations, starting with DIGIT Delaware Delaware Valley Arts Alliance & Roebling Bridge Environmental Arts
and LMCC (Lower Manhattan Cultural Council) in partnership with THE THING Inc. (New York) with the support of Étant Donnés, The French-American Fund for Contemporary Art.
Presentations continue in the fall with an
installation during the Arborescence festival in Aix-en-Provence, France,
and an installation performance at GMEM, Marseille France.
audio stream sent to a wire
delaware arts center
• TECHNICAL DOC
To Start Streaming You will Need :
We obtained the good results using the Dyne:bolic Linux distribution
- a PC or Mac dedicated to the stream (an old 450 MHz machine should do).
- a sound card recognized by your operating system.
- a microphone (3$ radioshack mike is fine).
- streaming software (we propose that you download our PD patch and run it
(link) using PureData : http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html that way you can customize your stream (for osX, Windows and Linux). We recommend that you use this Hans Christoph Steiner's extended version which includes the necessary ogg vorbis libraries.
- a high speed internet connection and a network router.
The advantage being thats it's a liveCD (so you don't have to
install the system) and that PD and all the necessary externals are
already installed. You might run into difficulties if the system
doesn't recognize the PCs built in sound card in which case the
easiest option is to find an old soundblaster card and disactivate
the built-in card in the bios.
It's important for us to get a wide range of soundscapes and social
situations, remember that urban sound is pretty similar
around the western world so you might want to chose to place your
microphone so as to capture interesting or unique aspects of your
environment and also to listen to the other current streams to caracterize yours.
We are also finding that in most circumstances it is preferable to
customize the patch, sometimes a little filtering is all thats needed
(as for example: port.ogg) but we've also built a sampling patch which records and
plays back recent sound events continually updating its database (as for example: cap15.ogg).